Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Day 3

Habari zenu! 


I'm sure you're wondering why my first post is labeled as Day 3... I had meant to get to this earlier, but jet lag got in the way of any posts on days 1 and 2.  Please excuse any bumbling writing, which I blame on a combination of being out of practice and my mind being a little fuzzy due to sickness. And maybe you're also wondering what "habari zenu" means; it's the common greeting when addressing multiple people here in Kenya, the country in which I am getting my missionary's feet wet, and means simply "how are you?", though perhaps I'm being optimistic in thinking multiple people will read this silly blog!  Well even if I can't get anyone to read my measly little blog, at least I will be able to recount my experiences and store them away to look back on when I am home again.  The two months ahead of me will surely change me in ways that I don't want to forget.


Since arriving in Nairobi, Kenya on Monday at 10 pm, after about 16 hours of travel on two separate flights, I have met many friendly, helpful people (and am still working on remembering all their names), been barraged with information about Kenya, Kenyans, and SIM (the AWESOME global mission organization that got me here), and fought against jet lag and an annoying cold. I haven't gotten to take a single picture yet, because I just haven't found the opportunity with all the precautions we have to take, but as soon as I get the chance, I will be posting pictures.  The weather is beautiful right now with sunny days and cool nights, which I am thankful for since my post as a missionary requires me to be fully covered, and is a welcome change from Houston heat!  


I look forward to my first lesson on Swahili tomorrow, because I've only learned two phrases on my own and will be grateful to have a real teacher to guide me.  With only two weeks to learn, I won't be able to pick up more than the basics, if even those, but the little bit I can manage to learn will help me connect to a culture with which I have no experience, and I pray that my efforts will bring blessings to the children in my ministry.  I am going to be working at the New Adventure School in Kibera, which is now the largest slum in all of Africa, and the community is full of children in dire need of guidance, love, and an opportunity to learn about God's free gift of grace.  I cannot wait to get there and do what I can with the little time I have!


Oh give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him; 
tell of all his wondrous works!
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!
Seek the Lord and his strength;
seek his presence continually!
1 Chronicles 16: 8-11

1 comment:

  1. WIshing you all the best, Kathy! It's going to be a wonderful adventure.
    Embrace every moment and remember to take care of yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete